Recipes for Writers

Because this was requested multiple times, here are the famous wontons that I served at the Eville Writers Hanukwanyulemas party. It is not my creation; it is shamelessly stolen from my awesome stepsister Kim. Below is the pie recipe, if you missed it on the group; also not mine. :)

KIM'S WONTONS

1 pkg. wonton wrappers (small, not the egg roll size)
1 roll ground pork sausage
shredded cheddar cheese
ranch dressing
buttermilk
red bell pepper (opt.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, line the wells of a standard-size muffin tin with wontons. Make sure they don't fold over, but form little cups. Bake them alone for 5 mins.

(I generally find this recipe makes about two muffin sheets' worth of wontons; if you plan to make more, double the filling.)

In skillet, brown sausage and drain excess fat. Mix in cheese, optional red pepper (I usually leave it out) and enough buttermilk and ranch dressing to coat the sausage. Don't overdo the liquid or it'll soak the wontons. The buttermilk-to-ranch ratio is to taste; I generally prefer more ranch than buttermilk, but if you're not a ranch fan, you might prefer more buttermilk.

While the second sheet of wontons is baking, fill the first sheet with a spoonful of the meat mixture. Add a little extra cheese on top if you like. Do not overfill or the cups won't hold. Bake another 5 mins. Serve quickly. And snag one yourself; they won't last. :)

MANDY'S CHOCOLATE PECAN KAHLUA PIE 

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 tbsp. flour
3/4 c. dark corn syrup (I was out; I used light and had no problems)
1/4 c. Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
1 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust
whipped cream (opt.)

Preheat oven to 375. Meanwhile, beat sugar and softened butter until smooth. Beat in flour. Gradually beat in corn syrup, Kahlua and vanilla. Mix in the eggs, then chopped pecans.

Prepare pie plate and line with unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the bottom of the crust. (Mandy's note: I am very liberal with this and make sure the crust is very well-covered with chocolate chips.) Pour filling into the crust.

Bake until filling is puffed around the edges and just set in the center, about 45-55 mins. Transfer to rack to cool.

Mandy's note: At this point I sprinkle more chocolate chips on top and allow them to set while cooling. If I bought whole pecans and crushed them myself, I save a few and put them on top to make it pretty.

Elizabeth's note: I melted the chocolate chips and used a frosting spatula to smooth the chocolate into a solid layer across the top of the pie.

Can be made in advance; cover and refrigerate.

Comments