In which I link to myself...

... but there are a number of thoughts in this week's review of The Affair over on CultureGeek that I think might be interested in those of you reading this blog.

It seems like the show is trying to say things about the roles we play in our lives, about striving to be more than we are and our inevitable failures to live up to our own expectations or the expectations of others. This is where The Affair stops being a soap opera: while it is certainly melodramatic, it does not ascribe to a candy-coated happily-ever-after view of love or marriage or even sex. Even the layers have layers, and there is no one who does not end up trapped at some point or another. The Affair seems to say that more than money, status, education or circumstances of birth, it is those we love who trap us the most - and yet money, status, education and circumstances of birth play the vital parts in each person's life as it unfolds. There is no action without consequence.

Go check it out, and let me know what you think. I've been mulling some of the questions the show raised, and will probably expound on them later... when I'm not so bloody tired.

Comments